Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why I Couldn't Be A Teacher

Actually I was a gym teacher for three years before I got married, but I really was not your everyday goody goody sweetheart of a teacher. For example, agressive play is supposed to be discouraged but when we played floor hockey, I was okay with the slashing as long as it wasn't in the face, hooking was just plain funny and boarding, well, acceptable if the player in question asked for it.

I am also of the old school "If Someone hits you, hit them back." The new lingo is "Use your words" which is fine if you mean "Instead of grunting and pointing, say, pass me the crayon." But if someone smacks my kid in the face, I want then to smack them back harder. If they must use their words, they can say after "Hows that feel, sucker!"

My own kids are well manered. I teach them respect however I don't believe in respecting your elders just becasue they are old. I don't care if you are eighty or eight, if you are not a nice person, I what my kids to feel like they can tell you to go to hell if they need to.

Okay, so I am getting to my point. My family has always told our kids. "Biting is the worst thing another kid can do to you. Whatever you can do to prevent it, do so." So my five year old was at school and some other kid tried to bite him. He did what he was told and knocked the little vampire over the head witha Tonka Truck. My son got away unscathed but the other kid has a gash on his forehead. Served him right. I think.

So I get to school and my son runs up to me and relays the story all smiles and I tell him how proud I am of him. The teacher then comes over to tell me how in the future my son must "use his words". I told her that I dissagreed and I had a few words of my own for her. ( I know what those who know me well are thinking. I kept my hands to myself.)

What is my my son going to say? "Please stupid fellow classmate, but do not take a bite out of my arm." I can not see a converstaion working in this case. Self defense was nessasary.

I find that most Dads agree with me but lots of women don't. Although I have to say on my own behalf I'm not your everyday woman either. I'm strange and I see the world how I see it. My husband calls it DaniLand where I am the sole ruler. Dylan is the Treasurer.

Anyway, I have rambled. I'm off to sign my kids up for Boxing!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Hey in my house growing up, if you bite someone (like your younger brother) you were bite back (by Mom) . . .ok yes that explains alot about me. My upbringing had issues. (Guess in this day and age with all the diseases you cannot bite but you get my point!!!) But anyway I totally agree with you. Biting over the age of teething is NOT acceptable and I am damn proud of my surrogate son for knocking the kid over the head. Way to go!!! I am starting to understand why people home school.