Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pillow Fighting is NOT a Sport!

Okay so I was surfing the web this morning because I was procrastinating and there was a story on Yahoo that New York City will be hosting the World Pillow Fight championships and it will be televisied on one of the ESPNs.

What!

I used to coach a nationally ranked Synchronized Swim team and we always complained that our sport was NEVER televisied. Even nationals and we are an Olympic sport. ESPN shows the World Eating Chapionships ( which I think I could contend in by the way when I am PMSing) Tournament Checkers, and Spelling Bee ( Please tell me where the strategy is in that? You spell it right or wrong then sit down.) Synchronized Swimming requires the endurance and athletisim of a distance swimmer, and the showmanship of a performer. Plus I bet the guys would dig their skimpy bathing suits. Why does ESPN not show it!

Back to the pillow fighting. I get that it is a competition and that I quess its like boxing. But what is next. National Leapfrong Competition?

I have to say I am glad they recognized sports like Dodgeball now. As a gym teacher I loved dodgeball day becasue the game was self-sustaining, and the kids always participated. Low matience day at work. Plus it was fun to watch the kids beat the crap out of each other ( I was not your normal goodie-goodie teacher) I can only imagine how much fun they would have had with pillow fights. Maybe thats the key to healing todays youth. The hell with couseling and handholding with emotially screwed up kids. Give them a pillow and some misguided hostility and you have a pillow fighting champion.

By the way, I can say this stuff because I worked in the inner city. Once you have kids that miss class becasue they had to attend their own arraignement for armed robery you earned the right to joke. ( AND THAT WAS ONLY A MIDDLESCHOOLER! )

So I rambled. Sue Me!

Cakes

4 comments:

JT said...

Pillow fighting is too a sport! Geez.

Jean said...

How about World Championship of Duck Duck Goose? But they make it interesting . . .not just hands patting you softly on the head. Harder divisions have props!! Like ping pong paddles . .extra points if you knock out your opponent! Now that I WOULD WATCH!!! It would not even have to be on ESPN THE OHCO! (hee hee)

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Love pillow fights. Although they can hurt when the boys get carried away and try to kill me!

Barbie Jo Mahoney said...

okay sorry... a pillow fight for a "minute" is fun and funny. Then it gets out of hand. I'm not into violence - sue ME!

synchronized swimming, huh? Is ther ANY sport you dont' do Cakes??? Your athleticsism (is that a word?) has me in awe.