Friday, February 23, 2007

Lost in Ski Paradise

So for the past week I have been with my family in Ellicottville, New York. We are skiers and we have been members at Holimont since the year it opened in the mid sixties (before I was born) when all there was there was a tow rope tied between trees and no grooming at all. Now its this huge place with over a hundred trails. The town itself too has grown (obnoxiously in my opinion) from a place where you had to call the town sheffif at his house directly to a place with its own fire department and five real estate agencies.

We had a ski chalet at the top of Holimont until a few years ago when my mom sold it with the intention of getting something bigger for our extended family and more easily accessable (you had to walk a quarter mile up hill to get to it after parking the car) . We all regret it now becasue we all miss the old place instead of staying in rented condos. They may be easier to get too but lack the charm of an old rotary phone and tin foil rabit ears on the TV.

This break though we managed to strike a deal with the new owners and actually stayed at the old place. Weird. They modernized it, added skylights and (gulp) a driveway and satalite TV.

Thank god the rotary phone was sill there to which my five year old son asked me. "Is this older than dinasaurs?"

Anyway, I hate change and the notion that time marches on. Thank God the skiing is still great as always. I think i'll go hit the slopes now for one last run before the light gets flat.

1 comment:

JT said...

I really miss going there. The last time my family was there was when we saw you there. That was like 4 years ago. How pathetic is that?